Bobby George - Book Review Response
‘My thanks to Patrick Chaplin – the newly graduated Professor of Darts – for an excellent review in last month’s Darts World, and my apologies for beating him in “A Leg with Bobby” during Lakeside.
If I had known he was going to be so kind I might have let him win (I did say MIGHT!).
There is also a funny and perceptive review by Dartoid (Paul Siegel) on the internet at www.dartoidsworld.com. His review is titled “That’s the Way to Write It!’, and I was touched when he said that the poem on the last page made him cry, because it’s always had that effect on me.
My old dad was as tough as old boots, but he did what he had to do and it shaped my life. His poem, “My Son Bob”, might not be the sort of poetry that the purists and the luvees pretend to like, but the words of Francis J. George (the old man), written over 30 years ago, are from the heart.
Despite all the nice things he said, Patrick Chaplin assumed that I “disliked” my dad. That is not true. Yes, he was hard and tough, but I never disliked him. I respected him and knew that he loved me through that one poem. That’s why it ends the book.
THAT’S THE WAY TO VERSE IT!’
PC – In his response, Bobby refers to my “Leg with Bobby”, a one-sided darts match, which took place on the Lakeside world stage on Tuesday 9th January 2007. The photo shows Bobby, Ray Stubbs and me, posing just before ‘Bobby Dazzler’ took ‘Doctor Darts’ apart on the oche. (Photo courtesy of Chippix)
© 2007 Patrick Chaplin
- Darts Miscellany By Matt Bozeat
- The Official Bar Guide to Darts by Patrick Chaplin
- The Darts Bible By David Norton & Patrick Mcloughlin (With Steve Brown)
- Played at the Pub - The Pub Games of Britain By Arthur R. Taylor
- Darts in England 1900 - 1939
- Old Stoneface: The Autobiography of Britain's Greatest Darts Player
- The Darts 'B' Team By Colin S. Drury
- The Complete Dartshooter
- John Lowe Reveals ‘The Art of Darts’
- Eric Bristow - The Crafty Cockney The Autobiography
- The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris
- How to Master The Sport Of Darts (2nd Edition)
- How to Master The Sport Of Darts
- Darts with the Lid Off By Alan And Geoffrey D’Egville
- Trina Gulliver Golden Girl The Autobiography of
The Greatest Ever Ladies' Dart Player
- Murder on The Darts Board - Justin Irwin
- The Sun darts Quiz Book by Chris Bradshaw
- ‘Bellies and Bullseyes’- By Sid Waddell
- Make Mine a Double
- Bobby Dazzler – My Story, Bobby George
- Cupid's Dart by David Nobbs
- It's a Funny Old Game, Darts, Life -
The Best of Dartoid
- 101 Excuses for Bad Darts
- Know the Game - Darts by Deryk Brown
- 'The Power - My Autobiography' by Phil Taylor
- Planet Darts by Niall Edworthy
- In and Out by Mat Coward
- Unicorn Darts Yearbook 1978
- To The Point - By Dan William Peek
- Premiership 2006 & Eric Bristow's First Embassy Victory 1980
- The Story of darts - Video & DVD
- DIGLS Dartboard
- The Circumluminator -
Shadow Free Dartboard Lighting
- ‘Madhouse’ Mobile Phone Application Launched
NEW BOOK OUT NOW!
Learn more about my latest book and where to order it. 180! is packed with fascinating and mind-boggling facts with not a statistic in sight. It will make a great gift for all darts fans. CLICK HERE